Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Please Don't Get Used to a Post a Day But For Now...

I'm starting to try to wrap my head around being in Australia so I thought I'd share my possible plans with yout (I love the comments btw thanks!) So after talking to a few people- one of them being my mother- I think instead of jumping straight into trying to have a life here (eg. getting a job and an apartment) I'm going to do something completely different. That was the point of coming here in the first place, wasn't it? So here's my plan (because even though I'm trying to be spontaneous I still need a plan, DUH!):

I think I'm going to take a month off from life and do some traveling. The Work and Holiday place will store you bags for free for up to a month so that's where I got my time limit from, but aside from that, I don't want to run out of money that fast. I already have my hostel booked for the rest of the week but I think after that I want to try to go to Byron Bay. It's a beachy, artsy, hippie town that just sounds more like the pace I want to be at right now. It's a 9 hour drive (I think 2 hour plane ride) from Sydney but it sounds like a cool place to go relax and get my head on straight about what I want to be doing here. After that, there's a cool town close by called Nimbin I very much want to check out. I'll let you do your own research on this highly interesting little town and draw your own conclusions on why I would like so much to visit. After that, depending on how I feel, I might try to travel more to some vinyards near Sydney and make my way back, go check out the Great Barrier Reef, or do something COMPLETELY different called wwoofing.

Wwoofing stands for Willing Workers on Organic Farms. I know, most of you probably just re-read that sentence a few times because if anyone was trying to go work on an organic farm I bet I was dead last on that list. Hear me out though- it's basically like a home-stay situation, a family takes you in, feeds you and houses you, and you help out doing work on their farm. You don't make any money, but you also don't have any expenses. They say you become a part of their family, and right now when I'm still trying to get my bearings that sounds like a very comforting thing. It's something I NEVER in a million years thought I would want to do but something about it sounds appealing to me so maybe I should step out of my comfort zone and just do it.

Well that's my plan for now. Who would have ever thought this city girl would need a break from the city and decide to bum it around the country? I'll let you all know what my plans are (obvi) so keep an eye out. I had a lot of fun last night with some more Brits and Canadians (all new people this time) and can't wait to see what's in store for me in the future...

3 comments:

  1. That sounds amazing. LOVE IT. And yes, out of the ordinary for you, but at the same time I can totally picture you doing it. As much as you tried to fight it, you truly are a Clarkie! haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like some good ideas coming together. Glad you are getting your bearings and catching your breath. Nothing about you ever totally surprises me! I am glad you are thinking outside the Leah "box". Loved K's comment! Go Clark!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie you are so right. Clark must have put something in the water....

    ReplyDelete