Thursday, February 17, 2011

Some Thoughts While On Fraser Island


I have so much to say I almost don’t even know where to start. I spent today on Fraser Island and it is amazing- like nothing I’ve ever seen before. The island is HUGE and it’s all sand, yet it has managed to grow and support a rainforest. There are plants and trees just growing out of the sand like it’s normal. The life cycle here is pretty interesting too- I guess the trees shed their bark as the years go by allowing the brush to gather on the forest’s floor and eventually catch fire by means of lightning. You’d think that was bad for the plant life, but they do it on purpose. After they burn, the plants re-grow healthier and more lush, like a phoenix from the ashes. It made me think about how in a way, I came to Australia to shed my bark only to ignite on fire and come back feeling more alive and aware of myself and the world around than ever before.

I’ve been doing a lot of thinking while I’m here, mostly because I’m alone and have the time. It’s crazy how even though I’m thousands of miles away it doesn’t feel like that, because a lot of the things that would creep into my head back home have traveled with me here to keep pecking at me. My dreams haven’t been helping. They say when you’re used to smoking and stop you have vivid dreams and let me tell you it is true! I’m not having restless sleep, but I do keep dreaming about one thing in particular which I spend most of my days trying not to think about, which is probably why the subject comes to haunt me while I sleep. I wish I could turn it off, but they say time heals all wounds, so I suppose this is just a part of the healing process.

I need to learn to relax- it is not a skill that comes naturally to me. Spontaneity is one thing- I’ve loved taking my travels day by day, not planning anything in advance so I can do as I please- but I still haven’t managed to master the laid back attitude of the Aussies here. I know, it all comes in due time, and perhaps it’s just something I need to learn to accept instead of change. Again, only time will tell.

Traveling alone is something I think everyone should do in their life. You don’t have to worry about pleasing someone else or going on their schedule. You get to figure out what you really want to get out of your trip and just do it. My short week of traveling has quickly taught me this, and it makes me slightly anxious to come back to Sydney where I feel it could be easy to fall back into a routine out of simplicity and laziness rather than work on really figuring myself out as I feel like I am now. I’m almost afraid to get stuck in one place so soon and put down roots because there’s so much to see! I know, I’m getting ahead of myself and over thinking everything instead of just living in the moment, but it’s a habit that’s hard to break.

This blog entry was different from the rest and I hope you guys appreciated a more intimate look into the world of Leah. There’s so much more that’s been happening and I wish I could share it all with you but there simply are not enough hours in the day.

1 comment:

  1. Leah,

    The dream thing you talk about...I am RIGHT there with you. It's like you took the words right out of my mouth and put them into your blog.

    Also the travelling alone thing...I also get that...there is so much I want to tell you about!!!!

    ReplyDelete