Sunday, February 20, 2011

A Fantastic End to A New Begining


So I really want to just nap and read my book but I’ve had such a fantastic lazy day today I had to write it down now or I never would. Let me start off by saying I am so happy I stopped in Brisbane for a couple of days before continuing my travels which, for those who don’t know, are actually ending sooner than I thought. I have a plane ticket to Sydney which leaves tomorrow at 1pm and gets in around 3pm. As much fun as I’m having traveling alone and meeting new people, it was brought to my attention by a couple of cool Canadians I met here that it just makes sense to spend my birthday with the good friends I’ve made in Sydney. It astounds me that this thought never occurred to me myself, but no matter, because I made it happen.

Let me start by saying that all of the YHA’s I’ve stayed in have been fantastic, but this is the newest and by far one of the best. I have me OWN bathroom in my room (!!!) and air conditioning (!!!!!!!!!!!!!) which the Aussie’s refer to as aircon, not AC. To top it all off, my room was empty last night except for me and I never realized how much I appreciated having my own privacy until this moment. I wish no one will move into the room for tonight, but I’m not holding my breath.

After a fun night drinking with some Danish guys I met in Byron who I bumped into here and a couple of other guys I went to my own private room and slept very well. I have to admit, I’m still having vivid and unsettling dreams, but not even the insane things I dreamt about last night can bring me down. I went to the bookstore yesterday because I already finished the 2 books I brought with me (American Psycho and One Flew Over the Cuckoos’s Nest, both fantasitc) and purchased Eat, Pray, Love (because I’m traveling and needed a girlie book after so much gore and mentally unstable men) and I’ve already read the first 130 pages before noon. I also got The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo because I’ve heard nothing but good things and figured I’d join in with the rest of the world and see what the series is all about.

I don’t know if it’s because I started Eat, Pray, Love, or because I’m living my own version of the book (perhaps a little of both) but the days I spend alone doing whatever I feel like doing at that moment are jus the best days ever. After a nice breakfast of eggs and toast and bacon I finished the chapter on Italy in my new book and was inspired to go try this cool pizza place we passed last night while walking around. Pizza in Australia is shit. I don’t know what they do to it here, but it’s just not good. This was probably one of the BEST pizza’s I’ve ever had. Ever. To top it all off, it was a mushroom pizza. Mushrooms gross me out more than any other food, but something about me said to order it. These mushrooms were roasted to perfection and soaked up all the garlic and salty flavors in a salivating way that will forever make me rethink this odd, edible fungus. One delicious pizza and two glasses of fantastic Australian Chardonnay later and I am a happy camper back in my ‘airconed’ room about to start the second part of my book.

I can’t wait to get back to Sydney by plane and not a 14 hour bus ride (which does mean I have to throw out my souvenir from Nimbin, but oh well). My birthday should be sooo much fun and I wish you all could celebrate with me. This coming weekend me and my new friend Emma who I left in Sydney are planning on going to the Hunter Valley for a girls weekend drinking wine and eating cheese and I think it sounds like the best way to end my short time traveling. I miss you all but I’m still having a fantastic time and whenever people ask if I’m homesick I respond with an astounding NO. It would be great to share this experience with you all in person, but I have to say, it just wouldn’t be the same…

No comments:

Post a Comment