Friday, January 28, 2011

Peace out America- Australia, Here I Come!


Welcome to my very first blog! I figured this would be the easiest way to stay in touch with everyone while I’m in Australia and tell you about all my adventures. Before that, however, I thought I’d let you all know why I decided to up and leave in the first place.

Before I even got accepted into college I didn’t know if it was for me. Don’t get me wrong, I know you need a degree to get a job, but at the time I felt like I didn’t know enough about where I wanted to go or what I wanted to do, so maybe something else would have been good as a transition. This was immediately shot down by my parents. Though my years at Clark were a blast and I wouldn’t trade the friends I’ve made and the experiences I’ve had, anyone who ever met me knows I never felt like I fit in there.

I was one of the lucky few who managed to secure a job after graduation, so two days exactly after receiving my diploma I started my paid internship at the Ad Club. I love event planning and have always had an interest in advertising so this seemed like the perfect job. I meet a lot of great people while working there, but again, I felt like it wasn’t exactly the right fit. Once my time there ended I was even more confused on what I wanted to be doing with my life.

Due to an ABUNDANCE of free time, I really got to think about what I wanted to do and not just do what my parents/society thought was best or what my degree suggested I was qualified for. I have always loved to travel and wanted to do something different, so while I have no responsibilities or anything holding me down I figured now would be the best time to pick up and leave.

For the first time ever what I’m doing feels right for me (I know- wicked cheesy, but it is what it is). I have always wanted to go to Australia and as I have no desire to teach English, as many kids choose to do after graduation, it seemed like a great fit. The program I’m going with (BUNAC.org, check it out if you want) helps you with job placement, getting a visa, figuring out your taxes and a whole lot of other useful things.

I’ll be starting off in Sydney but I don’t want to try to plan anything out ahead of time. My plan is to just go and see what happens. My visa is good for up to a year and I have no idea how long I plan to stay so far. So there it is. I hope you are fortunate enough to get the chance to do your own version of this, or that you’re already doing something that you love. I cannot wait to go and I cannot wait to share this adventure with you and the rest of the interwebs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment