Sunday, January 30, 2011

I'm here!

Greetings from Sydney! I don't even want to go into my flights here because it was honeslty one of the worst flying experiences I have ever had for many reasons including overweight baggage, people throwing up (not me, but the girl in front of me) and my laptop dying just to name some of the highlights. I forgot to mention this in my first post, but if you want to reach me, your best bet is to either facebook me or email me (ldrummond23@gmail.com). You can text me but I don't remember what my new Aussie number is and I'm too lazy to look it up now. If you want it message me and it's all yours. We can skype too (sukr4acoustik) but seeing as how my laptop is currently dead, I don't always have a reliable computer.

On to the more exciting things! My hostel is pretty cool. There's a pool on the roof, a decent resturant, tv, and a bar next door. I haven't checked out the bar yet because it's only Monday and I am beyond exhausted, but it is definitely on my list of things to do...

My first day was spent checking into the hostel, finding lunch and then taking a 3 hour nap. After waking up slightly refreshed I walked down to the harbor with my new Canadian friend Tchad (pronounced Chad) where we had a mediocore but expensive dinner and checked out the view of the Opera House and bridge. It's about a 30 minute walk from my hostel which isn't too bad. Along the way I also found an Apple store and have made an appointment with the Genius Bar to hopefully bring my laptop back to life.

I just finished going through my orientation with the Work and Holiday people here in Sydney and I have learned a lot. I haven't even begun my job search or apartment search and I'm already exhausted just hearing about how the whole process works. It's pretty similar to the US except for a few things. Your resume is MUCH more detailed and everyone needs one, even waitresses. That means no walking into a resturant and getting hired on the spot like back home. Finding an aprartment shouldn't be too hard but it is expensive. They pay by the week, not month, and it sounds like it adds up fast. Of course, the minimum wage here is twice what it is in the US so it all evens out eventually.

Not much exciting has happened yet, but I just wanted to send out an update for those who are interested. I'm off to try and figure out why my phone won't send texts and then probably take another nap before dinner..

2 comments:

  1. Yay. I am loving your posts so far. KEEP TELLING US EVERYTHING haha. LOVE YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this!!! Can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete